Soft Fruit Agronomy & Trial Site Assistant, Scotland
Sector: General Manufacturing
Job type: Permanent
Our client is a specialist supplier of high-grade fresh produce for the Fresh and processed markets within the UK.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Soft Fruit Agronomy & Trial Site Assistant. The position will be based from the East of Scotland. This challenging and rewarding role requires a responsible individual with commercial experience and knowledge of the fresh produce industry.
• To integrate with the whole agronomy team to ensure the aims and goals of the department are met in full.
• To monitor crops across the grower base, both within and outside the fruit season to assess pest & disease levels, and ensure that crop health, nutrition and irrigation practices remain at a high standard.
• Overseeing the Scottish trial site, ensuring the smooth running of variety and crop development trials through management of plant husbandry tasks, data collection, and fruit sampling
• To assist the agronomy team with field trials on commercial grower sites as required. Including variety trials, testing new products and production systems
• To develop and maintain effective stakeholder relationships (internal and external)
• To attend customer and industry events as required
• To ensure growers comply with the agronomic standards as set by the business
• To focus trials on variety and cropping system development
• To ensure the smooth running of trials through planning and scheduling of plant husbandry tasks, data collection, and fruit sampling
• To work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
• To undertake any other duty commensurate with the role
• Minimum GCSE Grade A-C or equivalent in maths and English.
• Knowledge of horticultural production systems, pest and disease recognition (ideally soft fruit)
• Highly desirable is proven experience within the soft fruit sector.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (especially Excel)
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to prioritise and self manage effectively
• Ability to use initiative and work part as a team
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to work outside, including walking, standing, kneeling and stooping for extended periods.
• Full, clean driving licence
What’s on offer?
• A starting salary between £20,000 - £22,000
• Hours: 8.30 am – 5pm Mon – Fri
• Annual leave - 29 days per year (Jan-Dec) Inc. bank holidays
• Your birthday is given as a paid day off each year.
• Corporate gym membership
If you are currently working within a similar role and are looking for a fresh challenge please send your CV to Simon Norris at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, if you would like to discuss the position further please call on 0131 226 5060.