Quality Manager, Scotland
Job type: Permanent
Leading to better encompasses all we do at Kerry, it's how we've become the worlds leading taste and nutrition company. Whether it's building and manufacturing sustainable solutions for food, beverage or pharmaceutical consumers, our commitment to lead the world to better nutrition drives us forward. With 25,000+ colleagues across the globe and 15,000+ Kerry products, your opportunities are limitless.
A career with Kerry Taste & Nutrition offers you an opportunity to shape how people across the globe view food and beverage while providing you opportunities to explore and grow as your interests do. With our commitment to a sustainable future, a career with Kerry is something you can feel good about.
About the role
Following an internal promotion, we are now recruiting for a Quality Assurance Manager at our Menstrie Yeast production facility. With a rich heritage going back 275 years, the facility produces thousands of tonnes of yeast products each year for a range of household brands across the global food and drinks industry and is a global strategic importance to Kerry. The successful candidate will lead a large team and continue to build ‘Quality capability’ across the site.
• Ensuring that products are manufactured to the appropriate quality standards to meet customer, food safety and regulatory requirements.
• Managing technical communication relating to quality assurance internally and externally, including agreeing customer specifications, handling complaints and managing supplier quality issues.
• Managing the site Food Safety, Quality and HACCP systems and ensuring appropriate accreditations are achieved, effective and maintained.
• Driving continuous improvement in QA systems and processes to improve ‘right first time’ performance, product consistency and reduction in customer quality related issues.
• Responsibility for laboratory activities to ensure that raw material, intermediate and end product testing is accurate, cost effective, timely and to the exacting standards.
• Management of customer, third party and regulatory audits.
• Manage, direct and coordinate the investigation of complaints relating to site production including the necessary reporting, communication and corrective actions, as per the customer complaint procedure.
• Develop, maintain and coordinate monthly quality reports with trend analysis to both site management and production operator levels.
• Manage the process and make decisions in respect of non-conforming product, and rework of rejected stocks.
• Responsibility for ensuring that the Major Incident Policy is fully implemented.
• Develop, manage and coordinate the training needs identification process for Food Hygiene standards, HACCP, Hygiene training, and/or all other prevailing quality related requirements and standards for all staff on the site.
• Co-ordinate and ensure the provision of information to customers in a timely and efficient manner (certificates, reports, general enquiries, etc).
• As a key member of the site management team, contribute to the general management and decision making, and activity of the Site Leadership team (SLT).
• Responsibility for managing, motivating and leading and directing a large team. Creating a high performing team through effective recruitment, development and performance management.
Qualifications and skills
• Qualified to degree level in food science or a related subject.
• Experience of managing the Quality Assurance function of within food manufacturing or the biotechnology industry.
• Knowledge and experience of dealing with complex microbiological challenges
• An understanding of the requirements of Quality Management Systems and have knowledge of relevant food legislation, HACCP systems/principles and GMP standards is essential
• Knowledge of the BRC, FSSC 22000, Global Food Standards
• Experience leading by example, a large team that continually seeks a better way (ideally relating to an environment that operates continuously i.e. 24 hours per day 7 days per week).
• Ability to lead complex technical investigations with multidisciplinary teams to provide root cause analysis on relating to quality issues that arise.
• Able to adapt to change, prioritise conflicting priorities and management time effectively.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to write reports and analyse numerical data.