Propagation Manager, Scotland
Sector: General Manufacturing
Job type: Permanent
My client is currently looking for an accomplished Propagation / Nursery Manager. My client is a highly successful fresh produce grower. Due to a new venture, there is a fantastic opportunity for the role of Propagation / Nursery Manager with future progression opportunities.
The Propagation Manager will be responsible for setting-up a new nursery to grow soft fruit and forest tree plant material to be grown on in commercial situations.
Budgeting a P&L and delivering to the plan is essential to the success of this venture, and the responsibility of the nursery manager
Please read through the details below and if you think you have what it takes please apply.
Nursery set-up and procedures - Plan and deliver the necessary procedures to set-up and run a commercial nursery. This is a new venture and the successful applicant will have a large say in the future development of this venture.
Nursery Maintenance & Husbandry - Plan and deliver the annual growing & husbandry tasks and labour requirements. Implement irrigation, fertigation and plant protection as required throughout the season and maintain records to enable future analysis and improvements. Ensure that all spraying follows current legislation and agreed guidelines
Labour Management – To manage the nursery work schedules and growing plans. To liaise with HR Manager and Training Manager for labour requirements and ensuring all the team are capable of undertaking the work.
Pre-planting & Planting – Ensure that all fields and tunnels on the nursery are prepared in accordance with operational procedures, as set up by the nursery manager. This will include stock control of relevant materials, as well as nursery hygiene procedures, and legislative/compliance requirements (where applicable). Oversee the planting operations and quality of all commercial crops in a timely manner, is also an essential part of the role.
Quality of source material – Ensuring that all purchased or grown source material meets quality specification. Reporting any problems to the Managing Director immediately.
Budgeting and KPIs – Responsible for developing, in conjunction with the Managing Director, the annual budget and leading the monitoring of costs (at a frequency to be agreed) and reporting variations with corrective actions. Responsible for establishing KPIs for the area and reporting methodology.
Yield Information & Trackability – Providing accurate yield information and full traceability. Developing an annual crop calendar & husbandry manpower plan; carry out monthly stock takes of chemical and fertilisers; ensure that nursery maps are correct and up to date.
Nursery Monitoring – Ensure that environmental systems are accurately controlled and monitored at all times. Arrange leaf, soil and water analysis accordingly with matrix plan. Ensure bio controls are applied in a timely manner. Ensure pests and diseases are monitored and appropriate action taken as required. Produce a crop prediction report on a weekly basis. Ensure that all growing practices and procedures are compliant with auditing bodies.
Certification and licensing
Conforming with all the current legislation and applying for the correct certification required for different plant material.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS (how job success will be assessed)
1.Plant Quality - percentage of grade out product relative to that predicted/budgeted and total harvestable plant material.
2. Planting targets are delivered. All growing operations are completed to the required standard adhering to the correct techniques and procedures.
3. Ensure that the plants are maintained in a disease and pests free environment. Budget and yields are delivered within target.
4. All records are kept up-to-date. Traceability of plants and operations is achieved.
5. No instances of failure to communicate information about potential unsuccessful delivery of the crop to the Managing Director.
KEY SKILLS & BEHAVIOURS
1. Operational & Commercial Focus – Practical and decisive. Understands how an effective and efficiently run nursery operation can contribute to stronger overall business profitability.
2. Management - Planning and organising meticulously to ensure successful outcomes in terms of adherence to quality, cost and timeframe parameters.
3. People Management – A strong communicator both within and outside the growing nursery team. Able to develop productive working relationships with colleagues in other parts of the business.
What’s on offer?
A starting salary of up to £32,000 depending on experience
If this job is of interest and you would like to investigate further, apply TODAY!