Our client is home to some of the world’s best-loved whiskies, spirits, and beers.
Their high-quality brands are enjoyed by consumers in over 85 global markets.
They offer many benefits such as a competitive pension scheme, product allowance, free parking on-site, an early finish on a Friday, hybrid working, and much more!
We are currently looking for a passionate and enthusiastic Packaging Technologist to join the team!
Purpose of Role
This ideal candidate will be expected to work very closely with internal and external partners and have a strong knowledge and understanding of the packaging development process to ensure high-quality packs are managed within the agreed scope, budget, time frame, and quality parameters.
This person will be expected to be a knowledgeable technical partner to evaluate designs and construction for packaging, overseeing the design process and ensuring adherence to the critical path and timely delivery within agreed launch schedules.
The role is key to ensuring all new packaging has the right technical specification to meet consumer needs and the ongoing development of our packaging sustainability strategy to find better ways to reduce our environmental packaging footprint.
• Lead the introduction of new packaging and amendments to existing packaging materials and components in accordance with the project brief and business strategy
• Provide technical packaging expertise internally and externally, identifying, investigating, testing, trailing, and resolving both potential and actual issues
• Ensure Packaging formats are investigated and evaluated to develop high-quality, technically robust packaging through its life cycle
• Identifies packaging-related sustainability, and innovation opportunities, keeping the business up to date with a range of technological alternatives
• Identifying and implementing of valued engineering opportunities, material standardisation, waste, and production process improvement opportunities
• Provide comprehensive specifications for all new packaging components and supports the technical packaging specification management system
• Provide guidance, advice, and support to the relevant teams on packaging structures, materials, print and specification throughout the design process
• Work with graphic designers and suppliers on artwork development and provide expertise for realisation showing sound knowledge of printing processes used on various components and substrates
• Provide support (as required) and provide technical expertise at packaging print proofing/passes on press
• Approval of technical drawings and print specifications to complete product validation Provide support and guidance on the company Innovation Stage-Gate process. Verify (sign off) packaging components for use and maintain records of such activities
• This includes involvement in production trials
• Manage and own your professional development to achieve your work objectives and your career and personal goals
• Provide Technical input into Procurement decisions relating to packaging and/or bottling services
• Ensure packaging waste compliance.
The working hours will be 34 hours per week, standard hours are 08:30 – 17:00 Monday – Thursday and 08:30 – 12:30 on Friday. Required to work additional hours as necessitated by the needs of the business.
• 3 + years experience in a Packaging Technologist role
• Packaging process expertise with an array of substrates and components
• Excellent knowledge of glass manufacturing and print techniques
• Proven background/track record in packaging development using a stage gate process
• Institute of Packaging Diploma/ equivalent or significant technical experience in packaging materials
• PC Literate
• Knowledge of packaging development processes
• Demonstrate Influencing/communication/interpersonal and team working skills
• Good Organisational and planning skills with an excellent eye for attention to detail
• Cross-functional team worker who works in partnership with others
• Further education qualification in an appropriate technical, scientific or engineering subject or equivalent would be advantageous
• Previous experience within the spirits industry would be a distinct advantage
• Full (clean) driving Licence
• Use of SAP would be advantageous
If you are interested in this position, then please forward a copy of your most up to date CV to Simon Norris.