NPD Technologist, Central Scotland
Sector: New Product Development
Location: Central Scotland
Job type: Permanent
A new opportunity has arisen for an NPD Technologist to join their NPD function. Our client is a major FMCG business with an international reputation.
The successful candidate will develop new products and processes while working on a project basis, as driven by the NPI process. It essential that the candidate fulfils all projects assigned to a high standard and facilitates their on-time delivery in line with company expectations. As part of the role, the successful candidate must provide cost-effective and fit for purpose recipes following the requirements of both the business.
• Work within the NPI brief to provide products that satisfy the gate requirements. Ensuring that they are made to minimum cost, maximum efficiency, and safety whilst at the same time understanding the customers’ expectations on quality. Ensuring adequate support is provided for successful implementation into the manufacturing environment.
• Provide technical input and support to the Project owners to ensure the business gets the best result possible. Ensure NPD and the wider business processes and procedures are adhered to at all times. Lead the project from an NPD perspective and provide the required specialist input to ensure the translation from Gate - Kitchen prototypes - Factory production.
• Ensure the development work is aligned with and adheres to the project's critical path by maintaining close communication with the project managers and key stakeholders.
• Provide the necessary documentation so that the operations and technical team have full details of the production requirements.
• Maintain an awareness of current and pending product legislation applying this knowledge to product development where applicable.
• Complete improvement / supply-based projects with regards to approval of new raw
materials/packaging/processes to ensure the quality and safety of end products is
• Provide support to the factories when they have production issues around product
manufacture. Minimise this by ensuring all new products are supplied along with
finished product specifications to facilitate repeat production and clear guidelines on
what is acceptable and what is not.
• Maintain an insight and awareness of products currently in manufacture to identify
routes towards improvements in quality or optimization of costs on present and
• Actively assess new raw material technologies that may help to optimize both the
cost and functional delivery of NPD.
• Be involved in the assessment of alternative materials or processes.
• Represent NPD on the HACCP team, raising awareness of new products and
processes and providing sufficient information so that the impact of the food safety
management system is understood.
• Provide technical support to the commercial, procurement, marketing, and technical
teams. Support and attend customer-initiated meetings and project update sessions
as requested by the project lead.
Personal Qualities/ Behaviours
• Effective prioritisation
• Good organisational skills.
• A goal-orientated, customer-focused mindset.
• A sound understanding of the NPD requirements of major retailer customers.
• Graduate calibre. Degree level qualification in a Food or Science related subject would be seen as an advantage.
• 2-5 years’ experience within an NPD or related function in the Food Manufacturing Industry, ideally supported by a minimum of 2 years working as an NPD Technologist.
• First-Hand Experience of driving, managing and delivering NPD projects to demanding deadlines.
• Knowledge and experience of retailer manufacturing standards.
• Excellent level of project management skill
• Excellent communication and influencing skills at all levels within the business.
• Close attention to detail and accuracy of work.
• Good Interpersonal skills and professional team approach.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Computer literate.
• Driven and embraces challenges within the workplace.
What’s on offer?
• A competitive starting salary.
• Company pension and private medical plan.
• 28 days holiday
If you are interested in this position, then please forward a copy of your most up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01312265060.