Agronomist, East Scotland
Location: East Scotland
Job type: Permanent
Our client is a specialist supplier of high-grade fresh produce for the Fresh and processed markets within the UK.
An exciting opportunity exists for an Agronomist. The position will be based from the East of Scotland. This challenging and rewarding role requires a responsible individual with commercial experience and knowledge of the fresh produce industry.
• To integrate with the whole agronomy team to ensure the aims and goals of the department are met in full
• To monitor crops across the grower base, both within and outside the fruit season to ensure that crop health is maintained, and pest & disease incidence is minimised.
• To make recommendations on appropriate treatments for crops according to the protocols in place and supermarket specification and report these in agreed time frames
• To conduct, and assist the agronomy team with, field trials as required. Including planning and management of new variety trials and testing products and productions systems on commercial farm sites.
• To keep up to date with industry developments in terms of production systems, varieties, chemicals, fertilisers, biological controls, etc. and ensure these are well communicated and cascaded around the team and grower base
• To develop and maintain effective stakeholder relationships (internal and external).
• To attend customer and industry events as required
• To assist in the organisation of grower training days, crop workshops and information days with suppliers
• To assist with the management of the sampling programme (fruit residue, raw water analysis, soil/substrate analysis) as required to meet the needs of customers and growers
• To assist in the preparation of customer PPPLs as required
• To ensure growers comply with the agronomic standards as set by the business
• To maintain an awareness of and contribute to the sustainability programme
• To develop an understanding of and be involved with grower crop production planning and costings
• To undertake any other duty commensurate with the role
• Minimum GCSE Grade A-C or equivalent in maths and English.
• Extensive knowledge of soft fruit production systems, pest and disease recognition; and appropriate treatments.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to prioritise and self manage effectively
• Ability to use initiative and work part as a team
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to work outside, stand. Stand, walk, kneel and stoop for extended periods.
• Ability to travel to rural locations.
• Degree or equivalent in Agronomy, Agriculture or related field
• BASIS & FACTS
• Proven experience within the soft fruit sector.
• Proven experience of effective stakeholder management
What’s on offer?
• A competitive starting salary commensurate with experience.
• Working hours 8am – 5pm Mon – Fri (flexibility to work weekends if required)
If you are currently working within a similar role, and are looking for a fresh challenge please send your CV to Simon Norris at email@example.com. Alternatively, if you would like to discuss the position further please call on 0131 226 5060.